Learning and Growing: Revisited

 

Each year my guild makes a charity quilt as a group effort. Most of the time the quilt is donated to the university where we hold our meetings. They don't charge us for the use of the space, and they have a big fund raiser each year. So it is the proverbial win-win. 

There is a color scheme; one person gets all of the fabric and doles it out. And there is a theme (oooh: a scheme and a theme!) of some sort. One year it was stars and one year it was paper piecing. Beyond that, we're free to make whatever block(s) we want out of the fabric we are sent. I was really happy the year of the stars; I had acquired a book that had some very intricate pieced stars in a variety of sizes, and I made so many!

This year's palette included about a half a dozen colors; my packet contained three. I was delighted that two of them were Gettysburg colors (my daughter's alma mater) and the third a fine creamy white. My two six-inch blocks are ready to go in the mail tomorrow.

Back at the start of this year, I wrote about learning and growing and thought that I'd like to pursue Y-seams and curves this year. I have done nothing with the former and just a little with the latter. Quilt camp, where I'd planned to select classes that aligned with these goals, was Covid-canceled and I've been too meh to pursue these on my own. And now here we are, at the last quarter of this endless year. 

My friend Kristina spent the month of September doing a specific kind of painting. Daily. It was good for her, she reports. This reminded me of a time back about four years when I participated in an experiment called 80 Minutes A Week and became skilled and comfortable with paper piecing.

Tomorrow is October 1 and I know that I really need something to focus on that may help distract me from our national mayhem. So, I think that during the coming month, I'm going to have dedicated time daily to work with curves.

Anyone else want to build a skill in October?

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
I hear you loud and clear. I contemplated pushing myself to learn something new (the Siddi hand-stitching effort - which I found quite calming so long as I didn't work too long at any one sitting) but now I'm retreating to my comfort zone (scrappy, liberated, yet guided by inspiring patterns). Working with fabric helps me deal with the outside stressors - in fact that is why I got into quilting in the first place. I've said for years stitching keeps me sane - so if learning curves helps you do the same, then GO FOR IT! I'll cheer you on.
Nann said…
Yes, I do want to stretch! Though go-to units (HSTs and flying geese) offer inexhaustible designs by placement and/or color and fabric genre, there are so many other shapes and combinations that I would like to try. Do we have a personal challenge here?
Judi said…
That's spooky, Nancy! Some time ago, we both declared a desire to work on storm at sea blocks. I worked on my, developed the workshop that had been in my head for a couple of years, and have taught the class a few times now.

For the past several weeks, I have been saying that I need to develop an idea for a pick-and-mix New York Beauty class. I have got as far as buying the software to create the units, but other things (like developing a new talk!) have got in the way.

I think the new skill I need to develop for October is to conquer the software!
Barbara Anne said…
Love your new blocks and if I weren't finishing up Christmas gifts, I'd say I'd like to learn to be comfortable with curved piecing. Perhaps after Christmas?

Hugs!
Becks said…
Hi Nancy!I found your blog via Murrmurrs blog and love this post about skill building/quilting.

I will admit that I clicked on this post because of those lovely quilt blocks in the photo. I have been learning to quilt via you tube and the figureitout method for what feels like a very long time. I recently got a new machine and am looking forward to learning new things on it.

Since February- when Covid cancelled everyone's fun- I've been hiding out in my basement, listening to music and sewing my little heart out- waiting for this storm to pass. It has been a great time to learn new things, practice those skills, and- as someone else here mentioned- make Christmas gifts. It's gonna be a handmade holiday for all my peeps! I have also been painting, drawing and paper crafting- -quilling -and it is a delightful way to hide from reality, while also making lovely cards for all your friends and family you can no longer visit without fear of bringing them the plague. A silver lining? maybe, maybe not. But what else can we do with all of this time to ourselves? I am lucky to have a home and job that allows for working from home- my husband too- and so- I will not complain, much. Would love to know what skill did you decide on for October? Wishing you peace and joy in your stitches!