My Absolute Tale of Woe

 

It has been a stressful week here Near Philadelphia. Technology is the culprit. I shall attempt to condense my Absolute Tale Of Woe:


On Tuesday I went to the Apple Store to purchase an Apple Watch. How was I supposed to know I needed to have made an appointment to go shopping? After a wait in line outside the store, the lady said she had to check my phone to make sure it was up to date before I could connect the watch to it. It was. I bought the watch. Came home and attempted to connect. Watch said phone needed to be updated. Phone said it was updated. After six repetitions of this banter, I gave up for the night. Clearly one of them was playing hard-to-get.


On Wednesday, two more attempts yielded the same frustration and I phoned Apple Support who, of course, put me on hold. Eventually the technician tried a number of things and finally asked what model phone I had and it turns out that an Apple Watch cannot connect with a 6, must have a 6-S (?) Or later. Back to the store and the line once again with no appointment; but when the line checker interviewed me I did not lower my voice as I expressed my dismay. She got me in PDQ. And I then bought a new phone, a new model called ES (Extra Sensitive? Exceptional Sex? Eggplant Saute? Whatever) that wasn’t as expensive as an 11. 


Home again to move everything from the 6 to the Eggplant Saute  and then phone Verizon to have them change the current. But the lady at Verizon demanded a four-digit PIN and she didn’t like the only four-digit PIN I know and she didn’t like Joe’s either. She said I would have to go to the Verizon store with a photo ID and proof of purchase. Well, experience had taught me something, and I had the sense to go to the Verizon website and made an appointment for 11 on Thursday morning.  


I drove up to the mall and looked at the kiosk and Verizon was at 1074 so down to level 1 I went and when I got to 1074, it was a Sprint store. The lady there asked how I was; I told her it would be better to talk about how she was. It seems that the Verizon store USED to be directly across from the Sprint store but now was closed. It was a good thing I was not able to use the Apple Watch because that gizmo measures one’s blood pressure and I was in danger of needing to press the Apple Watch button to summon 911, except the Apple Watch was not connected or set up but home in the box. Ms. Sprint and I consulted the Waze apps on our phones (my old phone, the one still connected to Verizon power) and discerned that the Verizon store had moved a few miles up the highway near Home Depot. It was now 11:15, fifteen minutes into my scheduled appointment. Off I went and was pleased, finally, to reach Verizon, connect with a real person (who had no interest in my photo ID and/or proof of purchase). He was humorless, but technically competent, and within fewer than five minutes, I was back in my car. 


Once home, I attempted once again to do the connect but, of course, the new phone wasn’t charged. By the time it was charged, the watch needed charging. I needed a break at that point and set everything aside. 


Bringing us to Friday when both gizmos were fully charged but the mating failed for reasons I could not comprehend (but was not surprised by) and will not bother to try to explain here. I phoned Apple Support but they had no record of my purchase and hence I was ineligible for out-of-regular-hours support and was told to call back after 9 Central. I put everything aside, went out on the deck, screamed, and came back in. Some unknown instinct prompted me to take an action: I turned off the watch and turned it back on and did the same with the phone and sat down to do something else — ANYTHING else, actually — and after about an hour the phone which was by my side abruptly lit up and the watch also lit up and it seemed they wanted to be friends after all!  So finally they are connected and the watch is usable and wants me to finish personalizing it. But I haven’t had the courage to try. 


It is now Saturday and I have Other Business on my Agenda and have truly no tolerance whatsoever for any technological frustration. Channeling Scarlett at the moment, who reminds me that “tomorrow is another day.” Stay tuned.





Comments

Barbara Anne said…
And they wonder why many such gizmos get thrown away and those owners rant! You have certainly had your patience tested to the limit and there is no excuse for the run-around you've endured.

Hang in there, have a beverage of choice, and read a good book. No technology needed unless you're reading using something other than an actual book, covers to hold, pages to turn!

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
Oh, I empathize with your pain! Technology is great when it works, but when it doesn’t. . . If it makes you feel any better, I found your telling of the tale humorous, and had a good chuckle. In these current times, levity is MUCH appreciated. Many thanks!
Robby said…
Wow! I would be in throw it in the trash mode at this point. I am reasonably technically competent and my in house engineer definitely is. When we upgraded our phones and the young gentleman offered to walk us through transferring and setting up the new phones we simultaneously said, "Yes, please." The intricacies of these things tend to involve clicking your heels together three times and cursing. My phone is great, now my FitBit.....
howdidIgethere said…
IF I were feeling curious, I MIGHT ask you why you felt you needed an Apple watch in the first place, seeing that the phone tells you what time it is, pretty much all the time... And IF I had been in your place, my frustration MIGHT have gotten the best of me at the beginning, resulting in my returning the uncooperative watch and ending the whole shebang right there... But clearly you have both more patience and more persistence than I do these days, so I say CONGRATULATIONS on your ultimate success. (And I chuckled when I read the epic tale...)
Jan Andrews said…
We ditched Apple years ago and are very happy Android users.
AnnieO said…
Oh my...that is a long trial of electronic doo-doo to deal with. Glad something finally reached out and touched the other!!
Janet O. said…
Yikes--you really went through the ringing to have a functioning, connected iphone and watch. The ending was almost funny if I hadn't been so keyed up, living your experience right long with you.
Diane McConnell said…
Hysterically funny. A born storyteller you are. Now, thanks to the generosity of my brother I too have an Apple Watch. And had to upgrade my phone. But the amazing thing is what the watch will do. You can listen to Audible on it whilst you garden; you can swim in it and it counts your exercise of course you can get and send text messages; you can use it to navigate w I guess google maps. It does heart rates and ekgs I absolutely hate technology and the watch is the most amazing thing I own. My brother got it as a safety item for me if I fell or needed help. I am so grateful to have it. And yes it tells time too!!!!
Quayquilter said…
Well I don't don't have a smartphone and I have an analogue watch but I have been wondering whether to get a basic smart phone but now I wonder. Meanness is one reason as I only spend $30 or so on my pay as as you go annually, mostly phoning my husband when on quilting trips. People know not to phone me on my mobile as it lives tucked in my handbag at home. I also use it to ring twice on my home phone when I'm about to return from somewhere. I do have a very posh Samsung ultrabook, slim but a nice size to look at and watch videos and see pictures. I always think an airline screen very meagre so wouldn't dream of watching anything or zooming on a phone. I know I'm in the dark ages though.
Judy Cloe said…
Thank you so much for posting this story. I have had times like this involving technology. So glad you persevered and kept at it. You are an inspiration.
Millie said…
Oh, thanks for making me laugh. And wince. I used to be a geek, so I can sympathize with all aspects of your story.
Anonymous said…
And I remember when you did not even have a cell phone, ha ha!

Kathy Boehm
Quiltdivajulie said…
Oh my dear - what a tale, indeed (and so fabulously told). I read this aloud to DH and he laughed aloud with a dose of "been there done that" mixed in. SO glad the devices wanted to be friends after all.
Nann said…
I hope you can successfully sync your devices. I googled "what good is an Apple watch" and learned a few things. We will stick with Seikos on our wrists. It's enough that my iPhone and my iPad talk to one another (which is good, when it comes to photos).

P.S. At first I typed "get your devices synced," but then it should be pronounced "sinced" (or "sinst") and but it wouldn't be pronounced that way and that would drive me crazy. And it would drive you crazy. Because this whole Apple watch business has driven you sufficiently crazy for the time being I will leave it alone.