Back to School

 

A long time ago, my dear relative, a teacher in a school district with many disadvantaged families, suggested that people with grown children might consider purchasing a backpack and filling it with supplies for a child whose family would find this to be financially burdensome. I recognized this as a brilliant idea and for many years, I'd drive out to Lancaster County (always a pleasure for many reasons), backpack in tow, meet Susan for lunch, hand over the backpack, and return home. I might or might not have indulged in a bit of retail therapy at one of the many fabric shops.

I used to go to Staples early in August and pick out everything my imaginary high school girl might need. That part was almost as much fun as the lunch with Susan or the stop at TOCS.

Alas, a few months ago, my niece retired. So I went to the office of my local elementary school, firmly situated in a middle class neighborhood to see if there was a need. A few days later I got a phone call from the school's social worker. She said she'd received a request from a family with two children and would I consider doing two? I said I could do one and she said there was a first-grade girl who could use my help. Over lunch, I told Himself about the call and both of us got to thinking about that girl's second-grade  brother and so after lunch I phoned my sister who was happy to take on the cost of outfitting him if I'd do the shopping.

I consulted the school's list of demands [very specific] suggestions and couple of hours later my bank account was diminished by $215.11 (ye gods!) and I felt happy that whatshername and her brother wouldn't be singled out as they started their new adventures.

Here Near Philadelphia school starts in precisely eleven days; I know that in many areas the doors have already opened. Lunches, and sometimes breakfasts, will be provided for kids from food-insecure families.  But how will these children be able to learn if they don't have the basic equipment? I'm thankful that both Bonnie and I are in a position to be able to do this. Maybe you are, too? It's probably not too late.

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
Wonderful idea and thanks for sharing it!

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
Great idea but I am curious...what made the cost $215?
Anonymous said…
Our church does collected backbacks and supplies with are dispersed by the social worker who oversees the foster children. Been doing it for several years. Dotti in CT
Janet O. said…
Bravo, Nancy. Glad you managed to get the sister AND brother covered.
Locally we have drives at the grocery store where I do most of my shopping, and through the women's organization at my church. I am happily participating in both--neither of which requires quite the investment you have made!
Judi said…
Gosh, that must have been quite a "wish list" and I wonder how many middle income families would also struggle to buy all that on top of shoes, uniform, sports kits, etc.

Here in the UK, when I was at school everything was supplied (books, exercise books, pen, pencils, etc.) but I don't know if that is still true. Perhaps I need to check.....
Quiltdivajulie said…
There are a number of organizations here including the police department who gather and distribute school supplies up to and including clothing, shoes, and outerwear (massive effort). Even with all that there are families who cannot provide all that their children need. Excellent post to motivate others to do what they can.
Nann said…
And aren't office/stationery/school supplies just fun?! You've helped a child get a good start (and relieved a parent of a significant expense).

The schools here opened ten days ago though over the border in Wisconsin they can't (by statute) open until after Labor Day. Thank goodness for air-conditioned classrooms!

In this area a number of agencies and organizations provide backpacks or conduct school supply drives. Our woman's club has specifically collected Ticonderoga #2 pencils--the (former) teachers in the club said those are the best. They also say that kids want only Crayola crayons. They don't use the Rose Art brand.