The Photo

It's one of those times when the chaos, the suffering, the uncertainty all are getting to me. Really getting to me. We have worldwide weather extremes and global unrest. Closer to home, we have Joe Biden's worrisome age and Congressional Republican trouble-making. A certain disruptive former President is constantly in the news. 

Five nights ago, the high school football game going on at the corner of our street had to be stopped by police because a student from the other school had brought a gun to the game, a gun with a two loaded magazines and 31 rounds of ammunition.

Three of my friends are going through seemingly interminable emotional pain, three totally different kinds of pain, none of which I can begin to imagine. I do what I can to support them; nothing, of course, is enough.

Last week this photo* appeared in my Facebook feed; it is "the University of Greenwich with the Royal Observatory on the hillside in the background, the home of Greenwich Mean Time and the Prime Meridian of the world." I found that I was repeatedly returning to look at it and couldn't think why. 

Then it dawned on me: it is a place that represents unwavering truth, consistency, stability, all of the things I/we need right now.

*Photo unashamedly lifted from the FB feed of my friend, who will be glad that I have found so much meaning in it.

 

Comments

Anonymous said…
This certainly is a time filled with roller coaster moments. We have a joyful moment of the grandson going off to college and hear of a student being shot entering a wrong dorm. Ups and downs. And what do people do without faith. We all need an anchor because these seas we are traveling are challenging. The best we can give to friends is hope and a shoulder and a listening ear.
Blessings, Dotti inCT
Quiltdivajulie said…
Absolutely perfect - you are not the only one who is anxious about far too many things while trying to keep putting one foot in front of the other. (And I'll take Mr. Biden's age over anyone else who is out there)
Barbara Anne said…
Lovely and such stable, old structures that I hope speaks to many. It is scary out there, from heat to anger and on and on.

It's Mr. Biden for us, too, as anything else is unthinkable. Hold onto this from the Constitution of the United States of America, 14th Amendment, Section 3. Read it and hope.

May peace prevail on earth and may kindness become rampant!

Hugs!
Mystic Quilter said…
I can't quite believe what is happening to our world at the moment. I have stopped watching our news and even reading the daily newspaper, which is full of doom and gloom is off the agenda. We do hear about the happenings in the USA, I'm hoping that a certain person does not get anywhere near where he would like to be.
Nann said…
There is hurt on so many levels -- people we love dearly, those who are acquaintances, and so many we have never met -- and here we are expending so much outrage (though they deserve it) on those who have abused power and privilege. (Not just that man, but the top aide to a former politician in Illinois, among others.) When I read about the millions of dollars already contributed to campaigns I think how those millions could shelter the unhoused and feed the hungry and help restore justice and dignity.....Sewing is a great way to both blow off steam and to center oneself. Hope you're able to find a balance.
Barb said…
I'm finally back on Bloglovin and was happy to stop by but sad to read your post.
It is a sad, upsidedown time in our country. It is hard to think what to do.
Be gentle with yourself.
xo