Sunflowers

 

Last spring when we went to Texas for Joe's sister's funeral, we spent a lot of time with Janice's older son Steve and his lovely wife Lisa. It turned out that Janice had begun to make a quilt for them and passed away before it was finished.

The next day we went out to Janice's home and I looked at the "sunflower" blocks. There were twenty-five of them! Twenty were finished except for some of the centers, all hand-buttonhole stitched. Five were all pinned in place. I told Lisa and Steve that I'd take the blocks home and finish the quilt, but I'd likely not get to it until September.

It turned out that the buttonholing made a nice evening hand-work project. The blocks were very large and Lisa had mentioned that a king-size quilt had been the plan.

So I ordered some brown fabric to match the sunflowers' centers and asked Lisa to send me the left-over fabric, hoping there would be enough to make cornerstones. 

Once my then-current project was assembled and off to the quilter, I put the Sunflowers up on the wall and started cutting lattice and cornerstones.  Janice's hand-stitching was reflective of her age, and I knew that the machine quilting needed to be closer than I usually prefer. Mary Ellen did her usual wonderful job; the binding took the better part of a week, and the finished quilt reached Lisa yesterday.

She likes it.



Comments

Janet O. said…
This story warms my heart. What a beautiful, meaningful finish!
Anonymous said…
Sunflowers are my favorite and what a meaningful finish. I'm sure Janice is smiling down on it. Also love the brown sashing. Sherry
Karla said…
What a beautiful gift you are!
Barbara Anne said…
How marvelous that you were able to complete Janice's Sunflower quilt so beautifully for Steve and Lisa and the quilting pattern of similar flowers is perfect! No doubt this quilt will warm them heart, soul, and bodies. :)

Hugs!
Nann said…
What a lovely rescue!
Sherry said…
You did a really nice job with this project!
Quiltdivajulie said…
Whatever doubts you may have had as you worked on this, they were all for naught. What a marvelous rescue and what a treasure you created from those leftover blocks. BEAUTIFUL!