Words for Survival

You know how every once in a while you come across a slogan or a motto or a thought someone has shared or something along those lines and you think, "Wow! That really says it!"

I've been on this unwelcome journey, these part two-and-a-half months, and at the beginning, some people said either "Everything happens for a reason" or "When God closes a door, He opens a window." I didn't want to hear either of those things because my opinion is that they are bad theology. I believe, instead, that God gives us the grace to make some sort of sense of our circumstances.

I received other messages during this time, insightful and helpful messages, and they would pop up on Pinterest or on Facebook or other odd places. These messages would resonate with what I was feeling.

I wrote in my most recent blog post about the things that have helped me to hold body and soul together. Perhaps those things will help someone else who is facing this kind of struggle. Perhaps someone facing any kind of struggle right now would appreciate from my accumulated messages. They are so rich that I prolly should publish them one at a time, but instead, in no significant order, here they are now:

















Comments

Strlady said…
Seriously outstanding inspiration. Thanks for sharing these. They were all new to me.
howdidIgethere said…
One of my favorites that is not so much inspiring as mundane, but useful is Winston Churchill: "When you're going through hell, keep going."
Quiltdivajulie said…
Thank you for sharing these. What a collection of profoundly wise thoughts. Even though I dearly love Winnie the Pooh, perhaps my favorite among these is the little girl's "take a nap" -- our adult son who deals with bipolar and Asperger's is living proof that the method works. If nothing else, it helps offer a refreshed perspective and renewed energy.

Hugs and more hugs!
Janet O. said…
I love them all, Nancy! What great inspiration!
I never could imagine God going around closing doors on everyone, but I could see Him helping us find the open windows when someone else closed the doors.
Beth said…
Many of these were new to me as well. Thank you for bringing them all together. These are going to be a great reference on those days when my perspective is in need of "refinement"!

Vicki said…
I really love your blog! I've been following you for quite a while now, and have totally related to what you are going through. I think you have handled it all with grace and vision.... and I particularly love all these thoughts you have now assembled. What wonderful inspirations...Thank you so much!
Sandy H said…
Thanks for that-- a couple of those hit home for me too as I read them tonight.
Anonymous said…
Thanks for sharing those words of wisdom.
cindy
LizA. said…
Some very wise words there, my friend. Thank you for sharing. Several of them really hit home with me as we embark on our new journey next week.....
Mary said…
Thanks for sharing these great quotes.
Barbara Anne said…
What a wonderful, positive collection of rich and worthy quotations.

As a collector of quotations, I thank you.

As a reader of your blog, I'm so glad these quotations happened your way to help you along the unwelcome path you found yourself travelling.

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
Beautiful, beautiful quotations. I can understand why they were meaningful blessings to you. Thank you for sharing.
Char said…
What a wonderful post. Thank you for sharing.