Tired of Turkey?

 

Long about now, the second day after Thanksgiving, we start to hear people whining that they are "tired of turkey." I've never understood that. Our family of five that expanded into fourteen makes short work of a turkey dinner. I've never been troubled by having too many left-overs. In fact, I've grieved the insufficiency.

Not so this Thanksgiving.

This year I bought a 12-pound bird and my sister joined Himself and me on Thursday. We had a lovely dinner and sent Bonnie home with enough turkey for another dinner and perhaps a sandwich. On Friday there were turkey sandwiches for lunch for us.

Last night's dinner was the thing I think I invented where I take some sliced turkey and put it in the casserole and add some gravy and then a layer of mashed potatoes and a little more gravy and then a layer of left-over stuffing. We don't know what it would be called but we do love it and there's enough left for another two-person meal.

Joe had spent some time on Thursday evening stripping meat from the carcass and yesterday said bony-but-still-meaty remains and a bunch of vegetables simmered for several hours. This morning I separated out the meat from the bones and other unusables, added the rutabaga and the barley, and we had delicious soup for lunch. A couple of portions were shared with our good neighbor to the left.

While the soup was simmering, I put together the beloved turkey (or chicken) and pecans and celery for the hot turkey salad that will be topped with shredded cheddar and cracker crumbs for tomorrow's dinner. 

I put a whole lot more turkey aside with gravy for tonight's dinner. My husband grew up with a heavy Pennsylvania Dutch influence and he introduced me to the wonder of turkey waffles. Not to be in any way confused with the ridiculous Eggo-type tasteless waffles with syrup served with a side of fried chicken that some bad restaurants tout as a delicacy. Oh, no. We make the waffles from scratch using Dottie's decadent recipe and they are served with some sliced turkey and gravy on top, and a side of cranberry sauce. Trust me when I tell you that this variation of a hot turkey sandwich is comfort food at its very finest.

And there are still drumsticks and wings wrapped up in foil.

So today I thought a lot about my blogger-friend Lynne, whose waste not/want not family was so inventive with left-over chicken that they finally tired of it. She made a quilt to commemorate the event.



Comments

Millie said…
Wow, thanks for the shout out!
AnnieO said…
Your “last night’s dinner “ sounds like a delicious strata. We had our kids and grandkids for dinner so there wasn’t a lot left of our 13 lb turkey. I love leftovers, especially since it’s just the two of us most days. You are very generous sharing with your neighbors. I had a little bit of turkey and some apple pie for lunch!
Judy Cloe said…
I am also from Pennsylvania and familiar with chicken and waffles as you describe. My family didn't make them, but my best friend's mother did. I first had them at her house and managed to get myself invited to dinner there whenever they were made. After I married, I made them once, but my husband announced that I had ruined good waffles. Thus, I don't make them, but my mouth watered when you described them.
Robby said…
I'm very intrigued by the "decadent waffles" in your turkey and waffles (which sounds delicious in its' own right). I'll have to do a little research and see what Pennsylvania Dutch waffle recipes look like. We have cranberries relish and gravy left. The gravy is in the freezer to later become turkey stew over biscuits (hmm, not unlike over waffles, I guess). The cranberry relish freezes well and I'll take some to my parents the next time I see them. Mom's favorite dish over the holidays.
Barbara Anne said…
Is the recipe for Robbie's decadent waffles on your blog somewhere? Do please post it if it isn't here. Thank you!

We, too, have recipes to use up the leftover turkey in various delicious ways and turkey sandwiches are the best. My mother always froze a good portion of the leftover turkey and served it along side ham when it was Christmastime.

Hugs!
Sue said…
Much the same here except I looked up how to freeze turkey and following the directions, including adding some broth to the freezer bag, froze half of of 12 pounder. We too were just three for the dinner. However, that is often the case here; we are a small family. Have a wonderful week.
SSS
Janet O. said…
I thoroughly enjoyed this post, Nancy. The waffles sound wonderful. We make our waffles from scratch, but have never thought to have turkey and gravy over them. I'm sure hubby would like that. Unfortunately we are out of gravy.
That quilt at the end is a hoot!