Recently Read


Before I became a quilter, I spent almost all of my expendable free time reading. When I got involved with a rotary cutter, that changed. I read a bit less. Then the mini iPad came into my life with a series of addictive games. Reading took a bit of a back seat. Recently, though, I've read a handful of really good books.

The Dearly Beloved reminded me of Wallace Stegner's Crossing to Safety. It is about two couples journeying through life together. The husbands share a call to serve a large church in New York City. The wives . . . well . . . don't really get along all that well. And, of course, faith -- in varying degrees -- is part of the mix, as is fertility. Their story is so well-told.

Elkins Park isn't far at all from Near Philadelphia. It has some winding streets, in particular one Ashbourne Road, that are more than a little bit intimidating to  those who lack a sense of direction. The author of The Dutch House spent her college vacations with her roommate's family in Elkins Park; hence her decision to set a novel there. Reading this book, with all of the local references (yes, I know exactly where Immaculate Conception church is) was a treat. The story is about an enmeshed brother-and-sister relationship. Some of my local friends thought the book was good; I thought it was very good. After reading it, I wanted to go over to Elkins Park and drive around, looking for the Dutch house.


Sometimes I like a Barbara Kingsolver book; sometimes I don't. This one  definitely falls into the former category. Set in the same location in two different time periods, the stories intersect and bounce off one another. In the more present day family, the story is told from the woman's viewpoint and in the older story it is from the man's. The spouses are pretty much minor characters. There are other familial patterns. Each story involves academia and  in each one, really, the main character is the house that is failing its inhabitants. This was one of those books where I was conflicted between wanting to see what happens and not wanting it to end. Highest recommendation.


Alice Hoffman's books always have something -- oh, what's the word? Occult? Magical? -- otherworldly about them. I read all of her works and like some more than others. This one, set in Nazi-threatened Europe, involves two young Jewish girls who flee Germany for a safer place. I won't be giving anything away by sharing that they are accompanied by a golem. I've read about golem before and dismissed the idea of the creatures without too much thought. This time, the creation of the golem is explained so thoroughly, and the depiction of the creature in the months following its creation is so clear that I was almost ready to know it was real. The World that We Knew is purportedly a story about Lea and Ettie and what happens to them. But I know it is Ava's story.


This last book isn't fiction and reading it took me back to my nights as a hospital chaplain. The author is an intensive care physician in Ireland. She shares memories of experiences and lessons learned from her work, grouping them under the emotions we all have: fear, grief, joy, distraction, anger, disgust, and hope, paralleling the seven characteristics of being alive. She doesn't hesitate to share her own foibles and makes her patients come alive for the reader.




Comments

Barbara Anne said…
Thanks for the book recommendations! I love to read. In fact, tomorrow I'll pick up "The Dutch House" from our local library. How interesting that you live near where the story is set!

Hugs!
OTquilter said…
My story is similar; I read a lot more before I started quilting. But then I discovered audiobooks! I can borrow them through my library system (the Overdrive app puts them right on my phone) and listen while I sew, either with earbuds or a bluetooth speaker. Thanks for the recommendations; The Dutch House is on my list (Philadelphia!) I'm currently listening to Samantha Power's memoir "The Education of an Idealist" which is a compelling story of someone who has made a difference. Next up: "The Grammarians" by Cathleen Schine, an author I highly recommend.
Janet said…
I really enjoyed the Dutch house. I seem to be reading a number of excellent books lately. I can also recommend "A Gentleman in Moscow"
starsthatblaze said…
The Dearly Beloved is wonderful! I just finished it and definitely hope this author writes more. Unsheltered is OK; I felt it needs to be studied, the use of "shelter" and its various permutations traced through the book. Thank you so much for recommending these books!