Tulips and Windmills: Still in Belgium

 

On the initial itinerary, we were to dock in Ghent and there would be two choices of how to spend the day: A full day in Brugge or a morning in Brugge and afternoon in Ghent. We scheduled the latter. As it turned out, docking in Ghent was impossible. The people who live near the port had negotiated a policy that Viking would no longer be allowed unlimited access, and must limit their "parked" boats to five, rather than twelve. Gefjon apparently did not make the cut and remained in Antwerp. So the choice became a full day in Brugge or a morning in Ghent. 

Our buddy M had been talking for days about her eagerness to go to Ghent, in particular to see "The Adoration of the Mystic Lamb," a famous piece of art that neither Joe nor I knew anything about. That night we watched The Monument Men which gave us an inkling of its importance, so when morning came I decided to go to Ghent. Joe was set on Brugge. M had also emphasized the importance of a visit to the very best chocolate shop, "right next-door to the Lamb." 

Imagine my astonishment when M got on the bus to Brugge!

Here and there in Ghent:


I have a peculiar case of stumbling upon weddings in Europe. This is my third, the others having been in Dubrovnik and Florence.






This rather bizarre sculptor depicts the story of the man this church was dedicated to. It seems that he had been sentenced to death by thirst and starvation, and was put in a dungeon for ten days. He was allowed twice-a-day visits by his daughter to comfort him as he died. When the authorities went in to remove the body, he was still alive. So they gave him another ten days. When it turned out he was still alive, it was declared a miracle, he was permitted to go about his business, and was made a saint. This was to the delight of the daughter, a lactating mother of a newborn!

The Lamb:

















When we got to Ghent, one of the group members peeled off from the rest of us. He was absolutely determined to see the lamb before he could do anything else. The guide told him of the meeting place and the rest of us set forth. When we reconnected with him and the guide asked how it was, the reply was, "It was life changing." 

I got a bit nervous. I like my life pretty well the way it is and I didn't see how viewing this painting would get rid of my shellfish allergy, tidy up my sewing space, or make my knee stronger. Dutifully I made my way to the church, shelled out my twelve-and-a-half Euros, and took the elevator up to the viewing space. The room was quiet, people were respectful with no jostling or loud chatter. I took my photos and left the church for the chocolate shop. I didn't feel any deep life change and when I checked with others they said I seemed pretty much the same. But, golly, that chocolate shop was amazing!

Comments

Barbara Anne said…
What an interesting city and that cathedral was amazing. I hope Brugge was equally interesting. Was M disappointed she'd gotten on the wrong bus?

I am so enjoying your photos and narrative!

Hugs!