Ah, Bill . . . .

We first met back in the early nineties, soon after I got on the internet. I was browsing around and somehow ended up in a fabric shop somewhere in Florida where they were featuring the most gorgeous fabric I'd ever seen. It was Rose and Hubble's William Morris designs. That very night I made my first internet purchase.

Over the years others have produced William Morris fabrics, most recently Barbara Brackman for Moda, who has done some magnificent interpretations.

There is an entire clothes basket full of William Morris fabrics, even though I've made several quilts from the stash. I have more of this fabric than anyone should have the right to.

Last week I saw a photo of a quilt that was made from Kaffe/Mabley/etc. fabrics, all mixed together in an organized fashion, strata alternating with mostly nine-patches. I knew immediately that while it was stunning in the Rowan fabrics, the design was absolutely perfect for my Morris mish-mash. Today I pulled, pressed, cut, and stitched, and loved every minute of it. I made a dozen or more units. Now what I need to do is get out my graph paper and see how many of each I'm going to need. Last night I was thinking of a lap/nap quilt and today that had morphed into a queen quilt for our bed. Stay tuned. Please.

Oh, Marsha, I'm going to be sleeping with Bill!

Comments

Lovely, can't wait to see the pictures.
Pat said…
I have often wondered about your relationship with Bill. I know that sometimes you strip, that your alliance is somewhat patchy, but that the ties you have with him are binding. Does George know about Billy?
LizA. said…
I agree, can't wait to see the pics....isn't interesting how our fabric tastes shift over the years but there usually, always remains one or two constants......
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Ah, a Morris mish-mash... can't wait! :)

I think of you and smile whenever I carry my wonderful William Morris tote, which is a LOT; yes, I'm a Cheshire Cat like that.
Barbara Anne said…
Oh! I LOVE William Morris fabrics and have a stash of them that I caress from time to time. I made one lap quilt for DH from them because he loves William, too (and that's fine with me!).

I'd love to see the patten you saw. Is there a link?

As a matter of fact, Sherwin Williams paints have a set of interior and exterior colors based on the Arts and Crafts period. We painted our Florida room Studio Blue-green and have found it an easy color to live with. After all, folks have liked these colors for more than 100 years!

Hugs!
Janet O. said…
You've got me really curious. : )
howdidIgethere said…
Oh, Nancy! I can't wait to see this one! It sounds GAW-GUS!

I should confess, however, that Bill and I have been having "nooners" so to speak for quite a number of years, as the first "back of the couch" quilt I made for myself was a Yellow Brick Road made from FQ...

the only person around with MORE Wm. Morris fabrics than you