The Hope of Spring . . . Covered

Once or twice a year, my friend Lori runs a quilt-along on her blog. It is usually for a mini quilt and her directions are very, very clear. It's almost as if she was there beside you, patting your hand as you go along. I always want to participate. I did make one of her projects pretty much on schedule, and it is a topper for my nightstand.

Last year she did another quilt-along and I got as far as getting the block pieced and stuck it on the design wall and there it stayed. For a long time. I sat out the next quilt-along and regretted it when I saw the pretty things others made. She's just started a new one and I want to participate. But that other little project was still on the design wall. Over the past week I marked it, hand-quilted it, and bound it and now it will be a topper for a nightstand in the guest room. 

Here's a link to Lori's current quilt-along. It's called MidWinter Blues and it is very, very pretty. I'm going to cut fabric today and get started. But no MidWinter Blues for me. 

There's a song from the old Dr. Zhivago movie, "Somewhere My Love," and there's a line that says "although the snow covers the hope of spring." That's kind of where I am right now -- not in the midwinter blues but honestly knowing that deep down under all that snow is the hope of spring. My little project will be pink and green. And I know Lori will be just fine with that.



Comments

Lori said…
Of course I'm fine with that!! I'm also so happy you finished up the little Abundance quilt!! Looking forward to seeing your spring colors.
Barbara Anne said…
What a cheerful little block and applause that it's now a charming AND finished tabletopper!!

I have a small Carpenter's Square wall quilt in winter fabrics that was made by a friend and am about to start a slightly larger 4 block wall quilt in winter fabrics. Today is the first day above freezing in nearly a week.

Thanks for the link to Lori's quilt-along! I look forward to popping in for a visit. I love little quilts!

Hugs!
LizA. said…
And while the midwest and east coast have had more than their fair share of winter, we here on the west coast have had a serious lack of winter. We crossed over the Cascades today and even though there was snow at the summit, all the areas leading up the summit that are usually covered in feet of snow at this time of year had bare patches under the trees. What an odd winter...
Jindi's Cottage said…
That is a cute little quilt, perfect for a little topper...
Karla said…
Funny you post that. The hope of spring came for me this past Thursday. I saw a big fat Robin. Not a fluffed out I am cold fat, a real fat; perhaps an egg laden Robin. I was on a NJ Transit train more then halfway in my 84 minute ride, and I actually said out loud, "Will you look at that. A hope of spring, and then I smiled."
Janet O. said…
Abundance looks great, Nancy!
I love Lori's SALs, and planned on doing this one. I hope I can get some deadlines met in the next day or two and join you. Hmmm, I wonder what colors mine will be--I really do like Lori's Blue/Brown combo. I may be unoriginal! : )
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Hope springs eternal! Lovely little table topper you've got there! :)