Anti-Climactic Cookies

Well, I'd found this cookie recipe that sounded absolutely scrumptious: Key Lime Coconut White Chocolate Bit Cookies. Himself picked up most of the ingredients (a full half-pound of butter, no less) and I set to work this afternoon. They were fairly labor intensive but sounded so magnificent that I began entertaining possible better names for them. I was thinking perhaps Tahitian Splendors (not that I've ever been to Tahiti or know whether they have limes and/or coconut there).

After being mixed, the batter had to chill in the fridge for a minimum of an hour. I put them in and settled down to watch The Met's rendition of "Carmen."

The recipe (no, I'm not going to share it with you) said to bake them for 14-16 minutes at 375. For the first tray, I set the timer for 12 minutes and they were terribly burnt. Seems 8 or 9 minutes was the right length of time.

But still they were just "okay." Nothing spectacular. Nothing worthy of an improved, exotic name.

By the time they were done, I was pretty cranky. "Carmen" had been good right up until the end when the magnificent solo by Escamillo that I had so loved in Madrid when we went to the opera there never happened. So I was already cranky about that. And then the Just Okay Cookies happened.

Fortunately, my good neighbor who is a fine caterer had delivered a turkey pot pie to us yesterday after Himself had helped her pot some plants. So that made our dinner along with a vegetable and some applesauce. A cookie for dessert. If the cookies were better, I'd provide a link, but as it is I've already thrown out the printed-out recipe and deleted The Pin.

It's okay, Scarlett. Tomorrow -- indeed -- is another day.

Comments

Anonymous said…
So sorry your cookies did not turn out well. Did the recipe call for lime zest? I’ve found when I add citrus zest to almost anything the flavor really sings. Glad you had a yummy pot pie from your neighbor!
Barbara Anne said…
So sorry those wonderful ingredients didn't work well together to make most excellent cookies. Doesn't it seem impossible that happened? We've tossed recipes and marked cookbook recipes with "never again!" so we don't fall into the same trap twice.

That turkey pot pie sounds scrumptious!

Hugs!
Pip said…
I really hate it when a recipe that sounds really delicious turns out to be not so nice, you rightly feel as if you've wasted your time and ingredients. The turkey pot pie sounds delicious, you have a lovely neighbour.
Karla said…
I hate it when a recipe is a bust. But what’s even worst is when you create something wonderful and can’t remember exactly what you did, thus never recreated. May today be great.
Quiltdivajulie said…
I've had more than a few recipes found on Pinterest turn out to be duds - there are SO many recipes online, if only the websites were less cluttered with pop ups and ads (gee, I sound like a C.O.W. - grin)

Nann said…
Oh, the frustration! The pot pie was perfectly timed. Hope the next performance--operatic or otherwise--gets to completion.
Janet O. said…
What a letdown kind of day--except for the turkey pot pie. That sounds good. Too bad the cookies were only so-so. The ingredients do make it sound like they would be special.
I just tried a new GF banana bread that had rave reviews, but last night I threw the bread away after hubby had picked off the crusty top with cinnamon sugar on it. It was so disappointing. What a waste of expensive GF flour. But no one brought me a turkey pot pie, so I made my favorite lemon bars to redeem the day. LOL