Covid Sewing 22 Archaeological Finds (B-3)

So, today was the day of decision for this archaeological find. The picture of the completed project was very, very intimidating for me. I was explaining to Himself that a difficult setting for a project that I love  (thinking about the Steam Punks) somehow makes me love the project more; whereas, a difficult setting for a meh sort of project would cause said project to be packed away for another archaeologist to discover. And a difficult setting for a distasteful project is cause for abandonment (yesterday I was semi-jokingly suggesting to Julie that I ship it off to her to snarl at). So I wisely decided to wait until all of the components were made before opening the neatly tied bundle labeled "finishing kit."

This morning I made those cute triangle units.   I was humming along.

I mean, is there anything nicer than a good old Churn Dash? These with their little uneven Nine Patches in the centers were irresistible. And once they were done, I could put it off no longer. I opened the finishing kit.

I shouldn't have been surprised. There are two things about Fat Quarter Shop BOMs. The first is that there is always an abundance of fabric. And the second is that the directions are always stellar in their clarity. I'm starting to sound like a paid advert for the FQS! There are a couple of pages of directions and plenty of clearly labeled diagrams. And apparently very little in the way of on-point with lattice and cornerstones!

And so, the commitment has been made. I'm going to finish this bloomin' thing. And I'm going to finish it without any further postponement!

So there.

Comments

Yay! I’m cheering you on and hoping it goes together as nicely as the directions are written. You can do this!!!!
Anonymous said…
Good for you!
Barbara Anne said…
I just love all the decisions that are up to each quilter to make for each and every project! To make it or not, what size to make it, what colors to use, which fabrics to use, how to make the block(s), what setting to use, borders: pieced, strips, or none, how to quilt it or have it quilted, which fabric to use for the binding, and who gets to keep it: the quiltmaker? family? friends, or some worthy group that takes donation quilts? What bliss!

Thanks for letting us watch this well aged UFO as you complete it. Have fun!

Hugs!
Quiltdivajulie said…
LOLOL - I wondered if you might end up liking it once the parts started to come together. It is an older more faded palette but still wonderful. So glad you made a decision (the waffling takes a lot of energy). Hope it continues to go together swimmingly.
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Spoken like a true archaeologist; this is going to be wonderful!
Janet O. said…
I really like what I am seeing on the design wall--in my book you can't go wrong when you throw in some churn dash blocks. I look forward to the final reveal.
Abby said…
I agree with the comments about Fat Quarter Shop and their kits! Plenty of fabric and good directions! Nothing is worse that getting a crooked fat quarter for a kit and not being able to get all the cuts out of that piece. I would rather pay a smidge more and get enough. FQS goes beyond that. Once I made two quilts out of one kit.