The Aunts' Quilt: Moving Right Along

Well, I'll be a monkey's uncle! The Aunts' Quilt blocks almost fit on my design wall! There is a final row of pieced blocks at the bottom and the two corner blocks that don't quite make it. But I know they are there.

It won't fit once it is assembled and the border applied, but then it won't matter, anyway.

Speaking of that border, there are two things: (1) The pattern calls for scallops of print fabric appliquéd around the outside. I'm not doing that. It would detract from the center and, besides, there is nothing else remotely scallop-like in the quilt. (2) I'd fretted about the possibility that the purchased border fabric would somehow get used for something else during the months of the appliqué. Dear Helen suggested keeping it in the box with the finished pieced blocks. When I put everything up on the wall yesterday, there it was!

You can't tell by just looking at the photo, but I used two different fabrics for the appliqué blocks. The square ones are green-on-white polka dots (oh, how I love polka dots!) and the triangles (and that outer border) are pale pink. I think if you click on the photo that will be evident.

I started assembly last evening, taking it slow and pressing very carefully. You already know that on-point settings are a bit of a bugaboo for me, but -- really -- without those pesky lattice and cornerstones, they aren't that bad!

One other thing, not that anyone would care or even notice, I'm no longer using "Covid-19 Sewing" in my post titles. Twenty-five of those was depressing enough. We've a long way to go, darn it.

Comments

Quiltdivajulie said…
I agree with dropping the COVID-sewing header - we're in this for a long haul so there's no need to remind ourselves every time we turn around. The Aunts are progressing spectacularly.
Quayquilter said…
A super super quilt. I love all the variation and am looking forward to the border. I thought of my efforts as Lockdown pieces. This will continue all year as pubs or eating out are not frequent activities for us. The chancellor is giving eaters out £10 off their bill!!! Ridiculous. The things I go to are all quilty gatherings and are not happening. The halls many take place in are not opening because of cleaning issues so for me the current state of affairs may continue till next year.
Janet O. said…
You have very pretty Aunts! I do like this quilt. It is smile inducing.