Lend Me a Quarter Cup of Greek?

As I posted a few days ago, I have a powerful allergy to shrimp and crabs and by belief and association, to lobsters.
. . . .
Joe and I are going to Greece this summer, and we understand that the Greeks have an affinity for shellfish.
. . . .
So I'm a little worried. I had a year of Koine Greek in seminary, but I learned things such as "Follow me" and "The blind man regained his sight," nothing to do with current day menu items.
. . . .
I spoke with the Classics teacher at school today, asking him if he would print out for me the Greek for "I am allergic to shrimp and to crabs." He replied that his particular Greek was a slightly different version of Ancient Greek than I'd had (twelve or thirteen years ago now) and my using his print-out would be the linguistic equivalent to someone coming here and speaking like Shakespeare.
. . . .
I imagine I can go down to the Greek restaurant in the village here Near Philadelphia and ask the owner to help me. But first I thought it would be interesting to ask my blog-readers. Can anyone help me with this?

Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
No help from here.. I can order my favorite Greek wine is all... but then, do you really need more than that?
Nicole said…
Nancy, try this link:
www.kypros.org/Lexicon
It is a free online English-Greek dictionary. You might have work it out word by word, but they do show the translation in both the Greek alphabet and a phonetic version.
What a shame to be allergic to shrimp! Crab too? That is just too bad!
QuiltingFitzy said…
I can get it for you. Give me a day or so, I'll have to do it thru email to my friend.
floribunda said…
how about carrying a photograph of a plate of shrimp and crab with the universal "NO" sign over it (the red circle with a slash through it)? I drew a lot of pictures to communicate when I traveled in Greece and eastern Europe many years ago...
Susan said…
Είμαι αλλεργικός στις γαρίδες και στα καβούρια is what my translation machine says. It's probably close enough to be understood. Probably more like saying, "I am allergic in the prawns and in the crabs." LOL! That's the reverse translation of the above.
atet said…
No help here -- but I'd try going to the Greek resturaunt. I know the folks at my local one are fantastic. Unfortunately, my Greek is limited to the menu items I enjoy and Ooopa!
Judith said…
I have been to greece a few times and they all have a greek/english card. It is one of the countries of Europe that is so touristic they all speak english. So no worries there. Also I don't know where you heard that about having them a lot of scrimp, but that isn't true. You can get a lot of meat and also vegetarian dishes.
Tanya said…
Hmmm. Sorry, I don't know anything about Greece. Looking forward to learning from you though when you go this summer!
The Calico Cat said…
I can't "help" but I have a similar issue - I try to stick to vegeterian - but in Asia specifically - they sometimes consider fish - esp. shell fish as vegeterian...
Greg said…
My partner is Greek and he claims that he doesn't understand much of what is being said in the Greek Orthodox services because the language has evolved to such a degree and the church still uses the "old" Greek. It would be like using the original English Authorized 1611 King James Version of the biblical text (despite some fundamentalist claims that it is the only true word of God and that it can actually correct the Hebrew and Greek from which it was translated). [sigh]

Anyway...

I can ask him how to say, "I'm allergic to shrimp and crabs" and then ATTMEPT to post it here, OR I would suggest the greek/english online dictionary that Nicole linked to. I've used it before in my attempts to impress the Greek "prince." =)

Let me know...
QuiltingFitzy said…
Nancy, I NEVER thought about my computer not being able to read OR write GREEK!

My friend translated it for me, but it all came out as gobbelty-gook.

I'm sorry to disappoint you, I would try those other sources tho, it's worth a try.