Friday, April 04, 2008

Stars From Across The Pond

The week of the Lancaster show, our friend Judi from Canterbury, England, came to town. She stayed with Bonnie, and we rescheduled our monthly hand-sewing group meeting so that she could attend. Judi is always so generous; this visit she brought everyone a gift of a reusable grocery sack from a British food market. Because of the comfortable handles and the spacious size, I took mine to the show with me to tote my purchases. It was amazing how many people stopped me to comment! She also brought us a complimentary lesson or two!


Here's Judi teaching us a new technique for making star blocks. Helen and Bonnie are visible on the sofa, paying close attention.

This is partially-headless Kathleen holding a lovely example of the new technique.

Another one -- a bright and cheerful wall hanging.

And here is Judi again, holding a finished flimsy that all of us just loved!

5 comments:

Karen said...

Oooooooh! I *love* those star quilts!

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Looks like a great technique, I kept scrolling down looking for a photo of the grocery sack!

Karen Dianne Lee said...

Boy you're having some fun here in these photos! I love these blocks, Nancy. Yummy!!! Now of course I want to know how to do this new technique.

Star Freak Love, *karendianne.

NoVA Dad said...

Every time I visit your blog I'm astounded by the creativity and ability that you and your friends share. It also constantly reminds me of a snippet of a memory I have from childhood, when I attended an old-fashioned quilting that my great-great aunt and several of her friends were having. I don't remember much about the day, but the imagery still sticks with me to this day.

Just a brief memory; thanks for bringing it forward. And keep bringing the wonderful photography here as well; I love seeing your work.

Tanya said...

Isn't it fun making the same block/quilt in different colors and seeing how they turn out! And the block so often matches the personality of the quilter so well!