A Good Kind of Tired

A crazy clock. That's kind of the way all of the clocks are looking to me right about now. I think that just two more hours per day would be about right. Is that asking too much?

That was a rhetorical question.

It's still a busy, busy time at work, with the search processes and candidates and hiring continuing with no end, really, in sight. We -- perhaps naively -- think that we know of all of the vacancies for the coming year. But that could change in the wink of an eye. In addition, I've sat on a special committee called "Hiring for Diversity" for the past two years and as our work comes to a close, our report needs to be finalized and our recommendations made to the administration. I've agreed to handle producing the final version of the report; we met today and I really have my work cut out for me as I try to incorporate all of the changes and input in a relatively short period of time. I'm very committed to the project, though, and if it means I need to put in some extra hours, well, so be it.

Except. Except. I've been doing something else for an hour and a half after work before going home. And the timing is critical on that. Really critical! The important Pennsylvania Primary is two weeks from today and a week or so ago it dawned on me that it isn't going to be enough to want my candidate to win and cast my vote for him. I feel that more is required. And so each workday I stop on my way home at Obama For President Headquartes and do data entry for 90 minutes.

I have never done anything like this before. In fact, this is only the second time in our lives that we've had a lawn sign! And I had no idea whatsoever how much I was going to enjoy what I'm doing for the campaign! The atmosphere in the office is so positive, so optimistic, so energetic and happy that I immediately forget that I've put in a nearly eight-hour day already. I settle in with my pile of call sheets and update the records reflecting the results of the calls made that day. It is very easy work; I'm good at it and do it quickly. And so I listen to the people around me, most of whom are tirelessly making phone calls, never taking the rejections personally, always being cordial and friendly. They amaze me. Every single person is a volunteer; a couple of them have quit full-time jobs to volunteer for the campaign. Most of them appear to be between 18 and 25 years old. And they are so poised, they are appreciative, they are organized. When my little shift is over, I leave feeling absolutely exhilarated. And looking forward to returning the next day. Some evenings I'm tempted to go back after dinner! But I know if I don't go down and sew, I'll get cranky. And we certainly don't want that right about now.

I'm about as busy as I was during the time I was doing the supplemental transcription. But so much happier with what I'm doing. I'm just as tired at night as I was then. But this time, it is a good kind of tired. If you know what I mean.

Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
I understand what a good kind of tired means, your physical exhaustion is coming in second to your happy heart right now.
*karendianne. said…
You're contributing in a real and meaningful way. You entire body gets that. Wow. This is so incredible.

YOU INSPIRE ME!

Mobilizing Love, *karendianne. in Florida where we don't really Vote.
debijeanm said…
YES, we can! Thank you for what you are doing for our country, Nancy. You and your colleagues put me to shame while you bring me hope for a more optimistic America!
This reminds me of the weeks I worked on the McGovern campaign back in 1972. My friend Harriet rented a space over Kline's Market and we worked night and day, collge kids, high school kids and all of us 40 somethings, convinced that our man was the one. We had a phone bank and were so committed. But people voted for Nixon. Then Watergate happened. We wondered what was wrong with people.I hope Obama does better.
Expat Hausfrau said…
Go, Nancy! This also reminded me of the McGovern campaign. Mind you, I was only 12 at the time, but my mother Guenveur inspired in all of her kids a feeling that you actually could make a difference to your country by pitching in. THAT is patriotism, not this jingoistic claptrap that we've had to put up with for almost a decade now.
Tanya said…
This is an interesting post to me just because the election system is so different in Japan and the campaigning gets on everybody's nerves. I'm not sure about the people who volunteer to help a candidate but I doubt if anyone would use the words; "appreciative", "poised" and "exhilarated".
And I really don't have an opinion on the presidential candidates either because we don't get much news about American politics, just American criticism in general. Thank you for expressing your views!