Being Seventy: Nine


This is the last in the reflections on the bits from the book Being Seventy. I have been glad to have had the time to think about each of the bits separately. If you've been reading along and thinking too, thank you.


Page 141 (after attending her 50th reunion): From now on we live sub specie aeternitatis. We have made our contribution, whatever it is;  we are on the threshold of a great change, whatever it may be. Today we live in today’s sunshine, today’s rain, today’s love, today’s service.

The people who lived next-door to me when I was growing up were a childless couple who led a quiet life together. In so  many ways they were chosen family to me. When Joe came into my life, they welcomed him with open arms. More than once he said to me, "I hope we are as fortunate as the Bredbecks, growing old together." I don't know how old Paul was when he died; most likely he had reached ninety. She outlived him by a few years and passed at eighty-nine.

Joe works part-time now and believes he'll be fully retired within this calendar year. On the days I don't go to work, we sit together in our morning room, sipping coffee, reading, writing, playing. I am well, well aware of how fortunate we are.

As I reach the end of these reflections, there are pictures I collected for use as the introductory illustrations for the posts. I found too many! And so I shall just share them here, at the end.












Comments

Mrs. Goodneedle said…
These have been thought-provoking and affirming posts, I'm sad to see them come to an end. I suppose I need to buy the book! ; Thank you, my friend, thank you most sincerely.
Annie said…
Nancy - I’ve also very much enjoyed your reflections on the book. I bought it and find so wise, clear headed and loving. Wish I could have known the author. Glad she left us her books!
Quiltdivajulie said…
I can tell my copy will be well read - again and again. Thank you for these posts - may they help me remember to savor EVERY moment.
Janet O. said…
Sub specie aeternitatis--under the aspect of eternity. That was the title of our closing "Honors" address when I finished junior college, and it made quite an impression upon me. I can see how as the 80s draw closer, that perspective would be forefront on the mind.
I have enjoyed this series of posts. We are 68 and 73, married 48 years. My health is much better than his. I am grateful for each year and look forward to the next. Even if you have kids they go on with their own lives. Our pooches and TV westerns keep him busy..So many things keep me busy, but never so much that I don't take time to sit with him...and the dogs.
xx, Carol
Barbara Anne said…
These posts about this book have been a treasure and the book is on my birthday wish list as I'll be 69 then. Thank you, Nancy!

Hugs!
Unknown said…
Do you understand there's a 12 word sentence you can speak to your partner... that will induce intense emotions of love and impulsive appeal for you deep within his heart?

Because hidden in these 12 words is a "secret signal" that triggers a man's impulse to love, treasure and protect you with all his heart...

=====> 12 Words That Trigger A Man's Desire Instinct

This impulse is so built-in to a man's mind that it will drive him to work harder than before to love and admire you.

Matter-of-fact, triggering this powerful impulse is so important to getting the best possible relationship with your man that once you send your man one of the "Secret Signals"...

...You will soon find him open his soul and mind to you in a way he never experienced before and he will distinguish you as the only woman in the galaxy who has ever truly interested him.