Being Seventy: Seven

I'm nearly to the end of the bits that I saved from Being Seventy. Some of them have been sobering. This one, not so much:


Page 133: In how many different ways this business of growing old comes at one! Days go by when I scarcely think of it, days full of the usual — or unusual — activities, and then the thought springs up: but I am seventy!

I turned seventy-five last week. My hair is mostly gray. My face could stand a good pressing. My neck is no longer sleek.

Many of my friends dye their hair. At least one has had a face lift. Some do not care to share their ages. I'm none of those. I don't think that looking older has to mean looking less pretty. I'm fond of saying, "I don't feel my age. Except for my knees."


My role model. She's eighty-five. And gorgeous.

Comments

I'm 68 and I don't care who I tell. Everyday I look in the mirror and sometimes think "look how old you got". But honestly I don't think old. When I retired I stopped coloring my hair. I always kept the gray away. I supervised a few people when I worked and I am a Type A personality. I never wanted those I worked with to think I was a grouchy old lady when I demanded perfection. If I tell you the business I worked for manufactured parts for Boeing. There was no room for error. I look what I call a little dumpy. Why can't I shake the pounds that have creeped on since I retired? No matter. It's the inside that counts.
xx, Carol
Barbara Anne said…
I'm 68, too, and am headed for an April birthday so this age won't last much longer. Whatever!

When working, I was a nurse in ER and later worked in surgery. That's another job where there is no room for error.

Judi Dench is a favorite of mine, too, and despite problems with her vision, she doesn't seem to let it get her down or slow her down.

Someone said "Age is mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter."

A belated Happy Birthday to you!

Hugs!
Janet O. said…
You have a great role model.
Quiltdivajulie said…
I have earned each and every wrinkle and gray hair - I make NO apologies for who I am or how I look (although I wish I didn't have my mother's turkey neck . . . )
Unknown said…
Did you hear there's a 12 word sentence you can say to your man... that will trigger intense emotions of love and impulsive attraction to you buried within his heart?

That's because deep inside these 12 words is a "secret signal" that fuels a man's instinct to love, look after and care for you with his entire heart...

12 Words That Fuel A Man's Desire Impulse

This instinct is so hardwired into a man's genetics that it will make him try harder than ever before to make your relationship the best part of both of your lives.

As a matter of fact, fueling this influential instinct is so binding to achieving the best ever relationship with your man that the second you send your man one of these "Secret Signals"...

...You'll soon find him expose his mind and heart for you in such a way he never experienced before and he'll identify you as the one and only woman in the universe who has ever truly fascinated him.