The Aunts: Phase Two Begins


With all of the pieced blocks for The Aunts' Quilt completed, I began bonding the twenty appliqué blocks. One is now completely buttonhole-stitched. It took about two weeks to do it. I'm going to be at this for a very long time, but that's okay. I do it in front of "Better Call Saul Season 5 (we re-watched Season 4 as a review)" in the evenings and at Guild and at book club. 

I'd purchased 4 skeins of DMC 581when I began. I was surprised when this block used a whole skein and a tiny bit more. I button-hole using two strands. Heading out to Michael's today to buy what they have left of 581!

Clicking on the photo may make it bigger.


Comments

Barbara Anne said…
Looking good!

I'm also surprised at the amount of embroidery floss this block used up. If you need me to, I can look at Michael's here for more of the DMC 581 floss.

You've inspired me to get back to a barely started cross stitch flower sampler that I still want to make these 30 years later. The pattern is in a booklet titled "Antique Museum Samplers adapted from The Cooper- Hewitt Museum Collection" by Paragon Needlecraft. I am using a black #14 Aida fabric but the maker of the original sampler cross stitched the entire background in black.

Hugs!
Anonymous said…
I did enlarge the picture of the block. WOW - I didn't realize all the stitches that you had sewn. You did such a great job, the stitches all look evenly spaced and same size. Thanks for sharing.
Quiltdivajulie said…
One click enlarges, a double click super sizes -- BEAUTIFUL stitching! If you need me to look for that color DMC here, let me know.
starsthatblaze said…
Thank you so much for sharing the books you've recently read (in a post a few months ago). I'm finishing up my fourth one, The Dutch House. Our library doesn't have Seven Signs of Life, but I found the others. I especially liked The Dearly Beloved, partly because I'm a Wheaton grad from the 70's. Now may I recommend to you The Book Woman of Troublesome Creek by Kim Michele Richardson about the pack horse library project in 1936 in the hills of Kentucky. The lead character is full of courage and compassion. Also, Syria's Secret Library by Mike Thomson about young people gathering books from bombed out buildings in Daraya, Syria, a few years ago. Amazing!

Starr Brown
MARY MARSHAL said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.