On Hold

Everything is on hold.

Everything.

He woke me sometime after 1:30 this morning, saying he was sick. He had terrible indigestion, he said, and was holding the bucket, just in case. He'd taken Tums and then more Tums and when he ran out of Tums, he called for me. We'd had a mighty dinner at the local pub and he'd followed that with some peanuts later on. Had to be indigestion.

But just in case. Just in case, I asked him to take an aspirin. He did, just in case. The pain didn't abate. It didn't radiate to his jaw or down his left arm; I checked to be sure. So it pretty much had to be indigestion of a major sort. He became diaphoretic and cold at the same time and we decided to go over to the ER. Just in case.

The hospital is a three-minute drive. They had him hooked up to an EKG practically before I had a chance to put my keys away. The team worked like a ballet troupe; each person doing his or her job with minimal conversation, and not getting in each others' way. Nitroglycerin and heparin were administered and a second EKG begun. The physician told me that the first EKG had been concerning for a heart attack and that he had called the cardiac catheterization team to come in. Almost before he'd finished speaking, Dr. Cohen was in the room.

The procedure didn't take all that long; and afterwards Dr. Cohen came out to tell me that one of the three main arteries in the heart -- the LAD -- had had a complete blockage and he had successfully stented it. Another -- the circumflex -- has an 80 percent blockage and will be dealt with in short order. The third -- the RCA -- has a slight blockage that needs no attention. The speed of our getting to the hospital and the administration of the aspirin had lessened the extent of damage.

He will recover. He will be in hospital for five days, at least. The second catheterization is scheduled for Tuesday. He could come home as soon as Wednesday. I know nothing beyond these immediate plans.

Things will get normal, but it will be a new normal. Dietary changes, addition of medication, religious exercise are all in the immediate forefront. It will take adjustment.

And for now, everything -- quilt bindings, book club reading, theatre plans, give-aways, dinner guests -- everything is on hold.



Comments

Unknown said…
Nancy I think it's a jolly good job you acted so quickly and decisively - his outcome might have been a whole different scene if you hadn't - thinking of you both and praying for a speedy and successful recovery for him. Take care of yourself too (((hugs)))
Karrin Hurd said…
Nancy I will keep him in my prayers. Thank goodness you live so close, and you gave him the aspirin
dot said…
Understandably so. WOW!!! You knew exactly what to do. What a frightening post but good outcome. Prayers are going your way.
Ms. Jan said…
Wow Nancy, good thinking! Prayers coming your way.
Jeanne said…
Nancy, I'm so glad you went to the ER right away! Will keep you both in my prayers and hope next week-end will be calmer for you.
Kim West said…
Thankfully you acted quickly and had him take an aspirin. My thoughts are with you and him.
OMG thankfully everything is ok...........lucky the hospital is very close.........
Marla said…
Having just been through the whole catherization business with my husband, your story clutched at me. I even read it to DH. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
Juliann in WA said…
You are all in my prayers - you sure do have a good head on your shoulders.
floribunda said…
Nancy, I'm sending you all my best thoughts! Good for both of you for clear thinking and common sense.
lj_cox said…
God bless you. You'll be in my prayers.
JudyJudyJudy said…
Dear dear Nancy,

You are the salt to his pepper.
You are the salsa to his chips.
You are the butter to his popcorn.
You are the aspirin to his indigestion.
Thank God.
Prayers going up for you both,
Love coming to you both.
Judy near NIU
*karendianne. said…
Its Sunday morning early. I've sent my prayers on the wings of magical doves and thought of you first thing. I have something here that holds you close and reminds me of you constantly - the three "L's."

In Spirit Love, *karendianne.
Tanya said…
Father please be with Nancy right now and with her husband and family. Hold them in Your palm and cover them with love, comfort hope and gratefulness. Let them shine with the radiance of knowing that You are in control of everthing and that nothing escapes from Your attention and care.
We pray all this and more that we don't know what to pray for, in Jesus name. Amen
QuiltingFitzy said…
Kudos on your quick thinking. It's so easy to dismiss or minimalize symptoms!

We'll all wait with you, and don't forget to take care of YOU in the waiting process.

Hugs~
debijeanm said…
Frightening for everyone! I'll be sending good thoughts. And good for you for your quick, clear thinking and for him for listening. I have a friend (a nurse) whose friend ignored her urgings for HOURS. He survived but died a couple of years later of another heart attack. Who knows what damage was done during those hours when he resisted. The news sounds so much more promising on your end!
Quiltgranny said…
As you've often told me: "I'll be holding you in the Light". Love to both, and speedy recovery, Sharon
Diana said…
Nancy, I'll keep both you and him in my thoughts. Thank goodness you were able to get him to the hospital in time.
SallyB said…
Wow. What a reality check that must have been. Please tell Joe that he's in my thoughts - I don't know if he remembers me from y'all's Kent days when I babysat your children, but anyway, both of you are in my thoughts and KUDOS for your quick thinking of giving him aspirin! Hope everything ends up coming out well and that life can return to some semblance of normality soon!
Mrs. Goodneedle said…
Everything on hold; you deal with what you need to, right now. I'm praying for strength, for support, and for peace and healing while you move everything else to the front burner. Love you, dear friend, sending hugs to hold you up and a shoulder should you need it...
Nancy said…
Hugs to your, your husband and your family. It is a good thing that you both listened to what his body was telling you.

Nancy (also in PA)