This is a picture of Nicole's scraps that she has offered to one lucky comment leaver (comments closed at this point).
After I left my comment, with the hope of being the lucky winner of Nicole's scraps, I got to thinking about the time that my on-line group swapped scraps and what fun it was. You know, the old bit about one person's trash being another's treasure? One person organized and drew the names. Then everyone packed up a shoebox of her usable scraps and sent them off to her recipient.
I received Jill's (no link available; in fact, I dunno whatever happened to Jill after she left that group) and, friends, they were splendid! I enthused over them in an email and she was bewildered, claiming they were nothing special. But they were special to me! I used them as scrappy borders on some applique blocks from a garden theme swap. And, in fact, that very quilt is a wallhanging in my darling grandson's room!
I thought about how Helen receives my wee little cut-offs each month and does amazing things with them. I thought about how Turbo beams with pleasure when I give her a little baggie of smallish scraps. And I thought about how familiar my own scrap pile is. Mostly I thought about how great Jill's scraps were.
So here's a plan. Shall we have a Summer 2008 Scrap Swap?
Yes, we shall. And here are the rules:
1. By July 16 you will send me an email saying that you want to participate. You will use this address for your email: email@example.com
2. In your email you will provide me your name, mailing address, email address, and blog if you have one.
3. In your email, if you are a U.S. resident and are NOT willing to mail a package to another country, you will tell me that.
4. On July 17 or 18 I will assign you a scrap recipient.
5. When you receive the name, you will email me back that you have received it.
6. You will fill a shoebox or shoebox-size box with scraps of cotton fabric suitable for quiltmaking. You will send nothing smaller than a 2 inch square and you will try to include some nice generous-size scraps. You will not send anything that you would not wish to receive. You will include your name, email address, and blog ID with your scraps, so that your recipient can thank you properly.
7. No later than July 25 you will seal up your box very securely and send it to your recipient. You will email firstname.lastname@example.org to tell me you have sent your box.
8. You will receive a box from someone who has your name. When you get it, you will email me at email@example.com to let me know you have received it. You will email the sender to let her know that you have received it. You probably will post a picture of it on your blog.
Now, does that not sound like fun? Are you ready? Let's go!