Simplicity, McCalls, Butterick

Spring break has officially begun and while I'll be taking a few days off from work, I'll still be working about half of it.  The thing is, during winter and spring break and during the summer, we work shorter hours than the regular school-time hours.

As if I didn't have enough going on with my UFO challenges and the new project fixin's and ideas, lately I've had this peculiar urge to do some garment sewing.  Like tops or dresses or jumpers for myself.  I don't see a lot in the stores that is to my taste, and the prices of the clothes certainly aren't to my taste.

I used to sew quite a bit.  Back in the early 70s I bought into the Stretch and Sew mania and made lots of things for me and for the little ones.  I remember making a pair of zipper-front jackets for himself and me.  It's been a long time, though, since I've done anything but quilts and bags and the like.  This urge came over me a couple of years ago and I picked up some patterns on Ebay.  I'm thinking next week I just might get one of them out.

Or maybe I'll finish another UFO . . . .

Comments

miss-linny said…
Go for it! Few things beat the satisfaction of making one's own unique clothes; quilts come very close but you can't wear those to work now can you?
*karendianne. said…
Hey now - I think this is great but personally, continuing on with my frustration at Bodacious, I think we should warm up with a Cat Costume!
Susan said…
I occasionally get that urge, too, but after I lie down with a cold cloth on my head, it passes. Flashbacks to that blue/green houndstooth dress from Home Ec class in the late 60s also cure the urge.
Pat said…
I never had much success sewing for myself, other that some of the Stretch n' Sew stuff -- my body just doesn't work for unaltered patterns. I used to sew quite a bit for my kids, though, and enjoyed that a lot. Simple things, SMALLER pattern pieces (hate, hate hate working with those big tissues!), and went together fast for almost instant gratification. I can't wait to see what you turn out!
Helen said…
C'mon...you're teasing us! Give us details!

Love Susan's comment...made me LOL!

I used to sew ALL my clothes, (of course, I was young and svelte back then). I made my girls' clothing for a long time. I worked for a leather shop and did a lot of repairs and alterations. Also designed and made new jackets, coats, etc. while I worked there.

I don't do many clothes anymore.

Give us more info, dear!
Char said…
I've been thinking of doing the same thing. The style that I like, J.Jill I can't afford anymore. Looks like it's sewing for me. There's only one problem I don't think there's a table big enough for all the yardage it's going to take to go around me now!

Glad to here Bodacious is back.
Anonymous said…
My Mom made almost of my clothes growing up. I thought it was such a treat to get store bought, it was such a big deal to take the bus to downtown Winnipeg and shop. I remember how excited she was during the stretch and sew era and what was that fabric called that never ever wore out and you didn't have to iron.....and all I wanted was a pair of real jeans.
Have fun sewing. (Now my 16 yr old dtr looks at patterns and sews for herself)
Gari in AL said…
I actually had that same thought this week. But, I really don't enjoy sewing clothes. What is one to do?