The Book Discussion

I was reading when the phone rang.  Deeply engrossed in my current library book, Emily Alone by Stewart O'Nan. I'm loving the book and taking it slowly, a chapter or three of an evening. When I close the book, I think things like: Do I want to be Emily when I grow old? Am I already turning into Emily? Would my Book Club find enough in this gentle, understated story to chew on?

So I sort of reluctantly marked my place and got up to answer the phone.

It was Sam, newly turned six and two-thirds through Kindergarten. He was calling to tell me that he had just read my very favorite Dr. Seuss type book all by himself! And he got to color in two kites on his achievement chart as a result.

Clearly, congratulations were in order. So I delivered them, and a serious book discussion ensued. We considered character development, plot exposition, and illustrations. We each recited a couple of our favorite lines.

It was satisfying. Very satisfying. Emily would most certainly agree.

Comments

Nancy, what a thoughtful and generous mentor you are modeling for your grandkids. Reading has given us so much over the years that we encourage it as often as possible in the kids that wander thru our lives. We've nurtured some good ones too-one now an inventor and another a novelist... the circle turns.
Pat said…
I think you need to interview him as a guest on your blog.
Lori said…
Oh my goodness! How exciting and so sweet!! You are an awesome grandma!!
Salem Stitcher said…
Aren't they amazing? I'm still awestruck when my nephews read aloud. I'm barely over hearing them talk in full sentences. Wondrous creatures.
Bobbi said…
Sweet. I wonder if he was as insightful as some members of your adult group? Just wondering, I don't know who is in your group! Casting no aspersions!
Janet O. said…
And who needs a book club discussion when you can talk books with Sam? That's what counts!
Carol said…
Love that your grandson shared his reading excitement! I love reading to my grands, and also read at school to their classes. My father was a university librarian and he was hardly ever without a book in his hand and most of our family is now the same. My 1st grade grandson was just tested and is reading on a 6th grade level. He just eats reading up. I am also intrigued by the book you are reading and will put it in my queue as well as the one before it. Was it you who recommended The Seamstress? If so, I loved that book and have recommended it to others. I will want to read it again and again.
Tanya said…
I'm always happy when you give us a book suggestion. I've downloaded a sample to my Kindle and hope to do some reading this weekend. Emily Alone that is... I've already read and enjoyed Ten Apples Up On Top.
Chris Johnson said…
Sam saw this post and read it well enough to know you were talking about him. It made his day.
jirons42 said…
I just finished listening to Emily Alone as a book on tape while I was sewing. I had many on the same thoughts as you have running through my head as I listened.
Nann said…
Congratulations to Sam on his achievement! Did you know that "LeSieg" is an anagram for Geisel -- Theodore Geisel being Dr. Seuss's real name? So Ten Apples is indeed a Seuss book.

I very much enjoyed "Emily, Alone." It didn't seem as though much was happening until, reflecting on it after I finished it, a lot had. Like life. I thought of how much my mother would have liked the book (set in Pittsburgh, where she grew up, and Emily much like women she would have known).